Department of Geology and Geophysics,
College Station, Texas 77843
PhD, Columbia University, 1994
MSc, McMaster University, 1988
BSc, Carleton University, 1986
GEOL 101: Principles of Geology
GEOL 311: Principles of Geologic Writing
GEOL 451: Introduction to Geochemistry
GEOL 489: Team Research in Geochemistry and Paleoclimatology
GEOL 640: Geochemistry of Natural Fresh Waters
GEOL 689: Radiogenic Isotope Geochemistry
Robert R. Berg Professor of Geology
Currently I am pursuing several areas of research, all of which involve isotope ratio variations in marine and terrestrial records. My focus is on how isotope and trace element tracers can be used to understand the relationship between past climate change (on Quaternary and even longer timescales) and past oceanic biological productivity, deep-ocean circulation, and patterns of continental aridity and hydrology based on past riverine discharge and eolian fluxes to the ocean. By concentrating on the geochemistry of marine sediment archives, I aim to make a significant contribution to the study of climate forcing and response mechanisms. Understanding these mechanisms will help address a critical problem faced by climatologists. We have direct observational data on the chemical and physical parameters of the ocean for only about the past 50-100 years. In order to understand the impact of large-scale anthropogenic release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, and because the ocean plays such an important role in the global carbon cycle, we need to have empirical evidence from sedimentary proxies in order to understand better climate-related atmospheric/oceanic processes.
- Marcantonio, F., Lyle, M., and Ibrahim, R.* (2014) Particle sorting during sediment redistribution processes and the effect on 230Th-normalized mass accumulation rates, Geophysical Research Letters, DOI: 10.1002/2014GL060477.
- Lyle, M., Marcantonio, F., Moore, W. S., Murray, R. W., Huh, C.-A., Finney, B. P., Murray, D. W., and Mix, A. C. (2014) Sediment size fractionation and focusing in the Equatorial Pacific: effect on 230Th normalization and paleoflux measurements, Paleoceanography, DOI: 10.1002/2014PA002616.
- Xie, R. C.*, Marcantonio F., and Schmidt, M .W. (2014) Reconstruction of intermediate water circulation in the tropical North Atlantic during the last deglaciation, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2014.05.041.
- Hannah, A. J. M., Allison, M. A., Bianchi, T. S., Marcantonio, F., and Goff, J. (2014) Late Holocene Sedimentation in a High Arctic Coastal Setting: Simpson Lagoon and Colville Delta, Alaska, Estuarine and Coastal Shelf Science, 74, 11-24.
- Singh, A.K*, Marcantonio, F., Lyle, M, (2013) Dissolved 230Th-232Th Dynamics in the Eastern Tropical Pacific Ocean, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 362, 294-304.
- Xie, R.*, Marcantonio, F., Schmidt, M. (2012) Response of Antarctic Intermediate Water to weaker Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation during the last deglaciation, Paleoceanography, 27, PA3221, 1-12.
- Louchouarn, P., Kuo, L-J., Brandenberger, J., Marcantonio, F., Garland, C. and Gill G. (2012) Pyrogenic inputs of anthropogenic Pb and Hg to sediments of the Hood Canal, Washington, in the 20th century: Evidence from stable Pb isotopes and PAH signatures, Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 5772-5781.
- Schmidt, M, Weinlein, W., Marcantonio, F., and Lynch-Stieglitz, J. (2012) Solar forcing of the global tropical hydrologic cycle during the early Holocene, Paleoceanography, 27, PA3204, 1-12.
- Xie, R.C.* and Marcantonio F. (2012) Deglacial Dust Provenance Changes in the Eastern Equatorial Pacific and Implications for ITCZ Movement, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 317-318, 386-395.
- Woodard, S. C., Thomas, D. J., and Marcantonio, F. (2012) Thorium-derived dust fluxes to the equatorial Pacific Ocean, 58 Ma, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 87, 194-209.
- Singh, A.*, Marcantonio, F., Lyle, M. (2011) Sediment focusing in the Panama Basin, Eastern Equatorial Pacific Ocean, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 309, 33-44, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2011.06.020.
- Miller, C. A., Peucker-Ehrenbrink, B., Walker, B. D., and Marcantonio, F. (2011) Re-assessing the surface cycling of molybdenum and rhenium, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 75, 7146-7179.
- McGee, D.*, Marcantonio, F., McManus, J., Winckler, G. (2010) The response of excess 230Th and extraterrestrial 3He to sediment redistribution at the Blake Ridge, western North Atlantic, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 299, 138-149, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2010.08.029.
- Marcantonio, F., Thomas, D., Woodard, S.*, McGee, D.*, and Winckler, G. (2009) Extraterrestrial 3He in Paleocene sediments from Shatsky Rise: Constraints on sedimentation rate variability, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 287, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2009.07.029.
- Grzymko, T.*, Marcantonio, F., McKee, B. A., and Stewart, C. M. (2007) Temporal variability of uranium concentrations and 234U/238U activity ratios in the Mississippi River and its tributaries, Chemical Geology, 243, 344-356, doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2007.05.024.
- Pourmand, A.*, Marcantonio, F., Bianchi, T. S., Canuel, E., Waterson, E. A 28-ka history of sea surface temperature, primary productivity and planktonic community variability in the western Arabian Sea, Paleoceanography, 22, PA4208, doi:10.1029/2007PA001502.
- McGee, D.*, Marcantonio, F., and Lynch-Stieglitz, J. (2007) Deglacial changes in dust flux in the eastern equatorial Pacific, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2007.02.033.
- Xu, Y.* and Marcantonio, F. (2007) Strontium isotope variations in the lower Mississippi River and its estuarine mixing zone, Marine Chemistry, doi:10.1016/j.marchem.2007.01.004.
- Francois, R., Frank, M., Rutgers van der Loeff, M., Bacon, M. P., Geibert, W., Kienast, S., Anderson, R. F., Bradtmiller, L., Chase, Z., Henderson, G., Marcantonio, F., and Allen, S. E. (2007) A reply to "Do geochemical estimates of sediment focusing pass the sediment test in the equatorial Pacific?" Paleoceanography, 22, PA1216, doi:10.1029/2005PA001235.